Decontaminating to Curb Contamination
As a company committed to applying best practices and following the latest protocols, we have established a special Covid-19 decontamination taskforce. Our agile team is trained to decontaminate any business, across all sectors, to align with world-standard protocols. With many businesses going back to work in accordance with the new revised lockdown level 3, and, with an abundance of headlines highlighting high rates of Covid-19 outbreaks in factories, shops, hospitals, plants and more, we believe this is a crucial service to help keep South Africans safe.
- Why you should decontaminate your business
Our SHEQ (Safety, Health Environmental and Quality) manager, Mark Sterling, says that a decontamination protocol is one of the best ways to reassure your team, customers and other stakeholders that your environment is safe. Additionally, it should be mandatory should your business experience a positive Covid-19 case.
- How decontamination works
Covid-19 is transmitted by droplet spread, which can contaminate surfaces. This is why it is imperative that surfaces are decontaminated – especially after a positive infection incident. A decontamination protocol is different in its fastidiousness and rigour. It involves all surfaces, production lines, workstations, walls, floors and ceilings being decontaminated with specialised chemicals, after which an area is air dried.
- The team is specially trained and attired in the necessary PPE for its protection. All PPE is immediately placed in a biohazard bag to be disposed of as Health Care Risk Waste.
- There are wet and dry procedures, each with their own stringent protocols depending on the facility.
- Additionally, there’s a fogging sanitation option, using an approved, specialized sanitizer which is required to stand for eight hours before the area can again be accessed.
- What products are used?
Ecowize uses our own products with different chemicals aimed at specific functions.
- How often should it take place?
Ideally, you want to properly decontaminate a workplace before your team goes back to work, then at a frequency established by the risk assessment. A decontamination protocol should be standard practice after any Covid-19 positive incident.
- What should happen afterwards?
After a decontamination protocol, there should be a risk analysis to determine high touch points (most touched surfaces) so these are focused on in a daily (at minimum) cleaning regimen.
- Is it a silver bullet?
No, in cleaning and sanitation, there is no silver bullet, but it does make a huge difference. It must be accompanied by strict hygiene protocols including, hand washing, training, PPE, social distancing and other measures.
Ecowize is your partner in every step of this journey. Our decontamination taskforce can help you reassure your stakeholders of the safety of your business. Additionally, we offer many of the essentials your operation needs to help secure the safety of your team.
What about Explore more industry-related articles:
- Explore our Poultry Catalogue for a diverse selection of products and services tailored to meet the specific needs of the poultry industry.
- Elevating specialised cleaning: A blueprint for excellence in strategy, compliance, and safety
- The critical role of biosecurity in ensuring food safety in poultry production
- Quality Milk and Healthy Livestock
- Elevating workplace hygiene: The role of washroom hygiene equipment and solutions
- Ecowize: Revolutionising chemical solutions for specialised cleaning
- Elevating Specialised Cleaning through Strategic Planning, Compliance & Safety Excellence.
- Let’s Talk Ecowize Chemicals: Moving Toward the Future, One Chemical at a Time
- Food Safety
- Integrated pest management solutions: Effective and sustainable pest control
- DID YOU KNOW THAT WE SPECIALISE IN EFFECTIVE, WATER-SMART WET CLEANING TOO?
- WHAT THREE DECADES IN FOOD SAFETY HAS TAUGHT US. By Brett Osrin, CEO Ecowize
- Understand the importance of food-grade hygiene products in HACCP in food safety training
- The importance of HACCP in food safety training: A focus on professional pest control services
- The benefits of a clean and pest-free workplace supported by professional pest control services
- ECOWIZE ONLINE LEARNING ENABLES ONGOING GROWTH